What is Forest School?
Forest School originated in Scandinavia and was brought to the UK in the early 1990s. Forest School is based on 6 key principles;
- Forest School is a long-term process of frequent and regular sessions.
- Forest School takes place in a woodland or natural wooded environment.
- Forest School aims to promote the holistic development of all those involved.
- Forest School offers learners the opportunity to take supported risks.
- Forest School is run by qualified Forest School practitioners who continuously maintain and develop their professional practice.
- Forest School uses a range of learner-centred processes to create a community for development and learning.
What will my child be learning during Forest School?
During Forest School, your child will be learning through their own self-directed activities. These may include playing games, reading and creating stories, observing mini-beasts, building dens, getting muddy in the mud kitchen and much, much more! We value each child’s opinion and take the time to reflect at the end of each session. We use these ideas to plan for future learning opportunities.
“When I am at Forest School, I feel like I have magic in my boots”
– Arya, Pupil at The Pines Primary School
How does Forest School support my child’s learning and development?
Forest School develops your child’s social, emotional, physical and intellectual development. During Forest School sessions, your child will have ample opportunities to socialise with their peers. Through games, role play and teamwork your child will build key communication skills that will support them as they grow to become life-long, independent learners.
Furthermore, your child will learn to become more resilient and motivated as they make their own choices throughout their sessions at Forest School. As children self-direct themselves they will soon learn that sometimes not everything goes to plan. We celebrate these moments by continuing to praise the small steps your child has made in order to reach their goal. Children will then continue to push themselves for longer periods of times resulting in them achieving far more then what they set to achieve themselves.
What does my child need to wear?
At Forest School, there is no such thing as bad weather just poor clothing. Your child’s enjoyment of the outdoors depends on good quality clothing. Therefore, your child will need:
- Base layers – long sleeve top, leggings, socks
- Waterproof coat
- Warm Jumper
- Set of waterproof trousers
- Warm hat, scarf and gloves
- Waterproof boots/shoes
- Sun hat in warmer months
- Sun cream applied in warmer months
- Complete set of change of clothes including socks
How can you get involved?
If you would like to be a parent helper, then we would love to have you on board! Please contact Laura Duker (Forest School Leader) using the details below and I look forward to hearing from you.
Laura Duker (Forest School Leader)
Telephone: 01638 790135